top of page

By:

Quaid Najmi

4 January 2025 at 3:26:24 pm

WR starts razing Bandra’s Garibnagar slums

Mumbai: The Western Railway started one of the biggest four-day long anti-encroachment drives in Garibnagar slums of Bandra east to clear the illegal occupation of its land bordering the eastern sides of Bandra suburban station. The Garibnagar slums had shot to global spotlight after the filming of the 8-Oscar winning superhit “Slumdog Millionaire” (2008) after it emerged that at least two of its young Rubina Ali and Azharuddin M. Ismail were residing here. Later, after the film earned over...

WR starts razing Bandra’s Garibnagar slums

Mumbai: The Western Railway started one of the biggest four-day long anti-encroachment drives in Garibnagar slums of Bandra east to clear the illegal occupation of its land bordering the eastern sides of Bandra suburban station. The Garibnagar slums had shot to global spotlight after the filming of the 8-Oscar winning superhit “Slumdog Millionaire” (2008) after it emerged that at least two of its young Rubina Ali and Azharuddin M. Ismail were residing here. Later, after the film earned over US$ 380-mn, its director Danny Boyle had launched an initiative, ‘Jai Ho Trust’ to improve the lot of Rubina, Azharuddin and other child actors, sponsoring their full education and arranging decent homes for them, besides other kinds of help. Tuesday’s land-clearing exercise by the WR is linked to its long-pending fifth and sixth corridors expansion project between Santacruz and Mumbai Central intended to reduce the commuters' crush in the suburban rail network. It is also a prime chunk of real estate with great significance and commercial potential under the Rail Land Development Authority (RLDA), as also the hub for the upcoming Mumbai-Ahmedabad Bullet Train project, WR officials indicated. “Following the Bombay High Court’s directions, WR has commenced the removal of illegal encroachments from railway land near Bandra station. The drive will continue over the next four days, paving the way for safer operations and critical future infrastructure development,” Western Railway officials said. According to some estimates, there are around 500-700 unauthorised shanties in and around Garibnagar, including some used as commercial premises and a few eyesores standing 5-6 storeys tall, in the vicinity along the Bandra east commuter foot overbridge. The WR said that a strong security force comprising Mumbai Police, Railway Protection Force and Government Railway Police, concerned railway staffers, on-ground workers and equipment were deployed for the major demolition drive, besides fire brigade and ambulance teams on standby in the cordoned area to handle any eventuality. Recalling Dutt As the demolition gangs landed there this morning, agitated slum-dwellers attempted to protest and remembered how the late actor and local MP Sunil Dutt had earlier prevented razing of this neighbourhood on several occasions. Expressing concerns, Congress’ ex-Rajya Sabha MP Hussain Dalwai said that extremely poor sections of people reside in Garibnagar, and questioned if the WR had followed proper procedure before the bulldozing action. “Did they carry out a survey here prior to launching this operation? How can demolition be carried out without a proper survey even as the Bombay High Court order is being challenged in the Supreme Court,” Dalwai said. Samajwadi Party state President Abu Asim Azmi also expressed sympathy for the cause of the estimated 500-plus families eking out a miserable existence here for over five decades. “They are the citizens and belong to this country, and need a home to live in. No one would choose to live on footpaths or build illegal houses if they had proper shelter. It’s the duty of a good government to provide decent accommodation for all its citizens,” declared Azmi said. He urged the government for a rethink and observed that the ‘bulldozer action’ that was started in Uttar Pradesh has now become a fashion and it should be stopped forever. However, Bharatiya Janata Party leader and ex-Lok Sabha MP Dr. Kirit Somaiya lauded the WR and Police for removing the slums and driving out what he alleged Bangladeshi encroachers in the vicinity. Nevertheless, many locals like retired college lecturer R. N. or a retired woman, K. Nalini and others welcomed the demolition action in the larger public interest and hoped that Garibnagar would be erased from the Mumbai map forever.

Dangerous Departures

Updated: Oct 30, 2024

Dangerous Departures

In yet another shocking incident adding to Mumbai’s infamous tryst with stampedes, chaos erupted at Mumbai’s Bandra Terminus following a weekend stampede that left at least ten persons injured, two critically so. A crowd surged toward the Gorakhpur-bound train with nearly 1,500 people vying for seats in 22 unreserved compartments, leading to the stampede. Several others narrowly avoided tragedy, with some even pushed onto the tracks. This is not a unique episode but rather a recurring theme in Mumbai’s bedevilled crowd management, one that has haunted the city’s public spaces, particularly as festive seasons magnify the crowds.


Mumbai is no stranger to stampedes. A horrifying incident in 2017 at Elphinstone Road Station left 23 people dead and nearly 50 injured. The cause was a familiar one: an overwhelming crowd confined to a narrow footbridge during peak rush hour. The tragedy sparked an outcry, with promises from authorities to upgrade infrastructure and enhance safety protocols. Yet seven years on, crowd-related incidents continue to be a constant danger. Today’s incident reveals a similar lapse—a lack of foresight in managing the thousands who gather on platforms ahead of Diwali, eager to return to family. That the Gorakhpur Express was unreserved and heavily crowded was predictable.


The issue lies beyond simply crowd density; it is emblematic of deeper systemic negligence. The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), responsible for local public safety, along with the Railways Ministry, bear responsibility for ensuring order at such high-risk hubs. Although the BMC acknowledged the “festive rush,” it appears little was done to pre-empt it. Swift action could have been taken to either disperse the crowd or reroute passengers. Instead, chaos prevailed.


Political reaction has been swift but uninspiring. Aaditya Thackeray, son of Uddhav Thackeray, launched a scathing attack on the Union Railways Minister, Ashwini Vaishnaw, branding the incident a result of the minister’s “incapable” leadership. This hardly addresses the immediate need: a substantive plan to manage crowds and prevent similar incidents.


Mumbai’s transport infrastructure remains sorely outdated. Platforms are undersized, signalling systems frequently falter, and crowd control mechanisms are grossly inadequate. Despite repeated accidents, there has been little investment in comprehensive crowd management systems or the deployment of personnel trained in emergency response. While railway footbridges were widened after the Elphinstone tragedy, Bandra’s incident demonstrates that such incremental changes are insufficient. Mumbai, which sees a swelling populace during festivals, demands a robust strategy to address its vulnerabilities. This should include technology-driven crowd monitoring, clear communication channels to inform passengers of platform conditions, and additional security and medical staff on high-demand days. It is essential that crowd management training for personnel becomes a priority rather than a reaction to tragedies.

Comments


bottom of page